EU VAT Redirect Wordpress Plugin
Please note: this plugin is no longer updated.
EU VAT Redirect allows sellers of digital products to send users in the EU to one payment provider, and those outside the EU to another.
From 2015 sellers of digital products to customers in the EU are required to charge VAT on the product's purchase price, with the VAT rate being determined by the location of the customer, and report it regularly. Many retailers will handle this by using a payment processor that handles the VAT calculation and reporting. However such processors have far higher transaction fees than other "standard" processors such as PayPal.
The plugin is used in place of the URL in "buy now" links. When the user selects the "buy now" button, the user's IP address is checked and EU VAT Redirect determines whether a user is in the EU or outside it. Users in the EU can be sent to a payment processor that handles the VAT calculation, whilst those outside the EU can be sent to a cheaper processor, which doesn't.
- Treat UK as VAT free. Business in the UK who are below the VAT threshold, are not required to charge VAT on digital purchases in certain circumstances. Those UK business which this applies to can select this option, and send all UK users to the cheaper payment processor.
- "Confirm my location" page - when enabled, an interstitial page is shown to any user EU VAT Redirect determines is outside of the EU. The page asks the user to confirm if they are in the EU or not, before taking them to the correct payment processor.
- Ability to set custom URLs for "buy now" page, and the "Confirm my Location" page.
This product includes GeoLite data created by MaxMind, available from http://www.maxmind.com.
How to get the plugin
Simply go to the EU VAT Redirect page at Wordpress.org
Find it useful?
If you've found this page, it might be because you've found my Wordpress plugin useful. Which is great! It's always lovely to know people like something I've worked hard on.
And maybe you'd like to say thanks. There's two ways you can do this:
- Review the plugin on your site or blog, and rate it on Wordpress.org's plugin directory
- Donate some money using Paypal - you don't need a PayPal account and you can use all major credit and debit cards.
If you wish to donate, it's easy. Just click the PayPal button below!